Thursday, February 10, 2011

Part 2: All about our Subrau Race Series and your Race Director!


Welcome to Part 2 of our ongoing series focusing on our fabulous NB race series and getting to know our Race Directors. This week we are happy to shine the spotlight on RD extraordinaire Jill Dunnett and her Woodstock KOS race. The race will be taking place this year on July 1, starting at the Carleton Civic Centre in Woodstock, NB. It's sure to be another amazing event, and is a solid addition to our growing series of youth focused events, encouraging kids to come out and race, get some exercise and have fun! Take it away Jill!


Tell us a bit about yourself and how you became involved with triathlon and the sporting community? Any key accomplishments you’d care to share?

My name is Jill Dunnett and I work for the Woodstock Recreation and Community Services Dept. as the Program Coordinator. I grew up in the Woodstock area and now reside here with my husband and three children ages 14, 12 and 4. I have been a fan of triathlons since as long as I can remember. I have always been involved in sport since I was very young. I grew up with 3 brothers and being active was always our way of life. It has only been the last 5 years or so that I have actually participated in sprint tri’s. I’ve completed the Sackville, NB race once and the Saint John Rockwood Park twice. Love it! At this point in time, I do not spend as much time as I would like in training but, in the future, would love to participate in an Ironman. That is indeed my ultimate goal!

How did you end up in a Race Director role and how have you seen your race grow over the past few years? Care to share any exciting details about the 2011 event?

As Program Coordinator, one of my responsibilities is to organize and host a Kids of Steel event on Canada Day. The person prior to my taking the position started the annual event and it is something that I wanted to continue. We get approximately 70-80 participants a year. It is becoming an event that is growing in numbers and that we strive to improve upon each year, whether it’s the prizes, food or the course itself.

What developments do you foresee in the triathlon and sporting community in NB in the coming years? Any trends that you see emerging or key areas of focus you would like sporting orgs like Tri NB to capitalize on?

I think the communication between us and an organization like Tri NB is critical to the sport. We need professionals in this area to guide us and give us that support needed to run a successful event.


What keeps you busy in your spare time?

I am very fortunate to have the job I have. It keeps me very busy but I actually get to organize many recreational opportunities. A lot of programs are geared for youth in the area but I also like to include programs for adults that I myself enjoy such as, hiking (take groups often to Mt. Katahdin, Maine and Mt. Carleton), skiing, snowshoeing, and kayaking. I enjoy running in my spare time. I started a running club three years ago when I took the position. It varies in members year to year. Right now, we have a small core group that runs on a regular basis. We participate together in many races throughout NB. I also like to spend time with family going biking and camping. Most enjoyable is going to Boston to see the Red Sox at Fenway. We go quite often.

How is the 2011 race shaping up for you? Anything in particular you are focusing on? For example, increased participation, sponsorship, volunteers, etc?

We have businesses actually calling us to sponsor and we, of course, are always looking to increase participation. Volunteers are also important and a challenge to organize. Don’t be shy, step up and join in the fun, we love to have as much support as possible.

Where can people find information about your race to sign up or contact info if they have questions?

We put information in our summer brochure, and use radio and local newspaper publicity. I intend to list on the Athletics NB website as well.

Are you involved in other aspects of sport in NB or beyond the Province? For example, do you host any other races or participate on any Boards or race committees?

I also head up the committee for the Annual Joe McGuire Road Race held on the first weekend of “Old Home Week” in July in Woodstock.


How does your race appeal to youth and encouraging them to get involved in the sport?

Our race is all about youth. It is a family atmosphere!


Favourite pastime to relax and forget about the stresses of the day?

Running

Favourite food, drink, country / state visited and dream job?

I have to say that this is my dream job. It can be stressful at times but for the most part very enjoyable and rewarding. Favourite food would be Chinese. For drinks I like water with a slice of lemon. I love Boston or most places we have vacationed in the state of Maine, particularly in Bar Harbour where me and my husband were married and we participate in their marathon every October for the past four years.

If I won the lottery I would buy a ______________ bike and spend some time in__________ for a training / cycling vacation. Why?

An expensive road racing bike, an area with warm temps for a cycling vacation through a scenic route along water and through rolling hills.


Biggest pet peeve?

Lazy people or people that don’t try…

The one race I would like to complete in my lifetime is___________. Why?

Boston Marathon and an Ironman (where ever) because I love a challenge!

The best race I have ever participated in was _____________________. Why?

The MDI Marathon in Bar Harbor, Maine… the first time I completed without stopping.

The thing I am most proud of is______________________.

The outdoor adventures for adults that I’ve organized (hiking in particular) and the connections between participants that are formed. The small group of runners that go out with me together and the successes we’ve had and the sprint tri’s and other races I’ve completed.

The most important thing about my race I would like people to know is ____________________.

Participating and finishing is the most important…a good PB comes next.

Any words of encouragement for those who may be thinking of racing but have not made the leap yet and are watching from the sidelines?

Anyone can do it! Your finishing time is not the most important…finishing is.

Who is your favourite athlete of all time and why?

I would have to say I really admire Joan Benoit Samuelson. I’ve met her a couple of times before and she was the guest speaker at the MDI marathon in 2007. She is a true ‘Mainer’ and is very down to earth. I was also a huge fan of Larry Bird growing up.



Thanks for your time Jill and see you in Woodstock on July 1!

No comments:

Post a Comment